An easy-to-use tool for quickly annotating audio files.
<<html(<img src="" alt="screenshot" width=800>)>>
TotalRecall is designed for precise scoring and timing of participant responses during verbal tasks, especially Free Recall. However, it can be used for many kinds of audio annotation. TotalRecall displays an audio recording as a self-scrolling waveform that automatically keeps up with audio playback.
TotalRecall is used on a daily basis by many in the Computational Memory Lab. Support and maintenance will continue indefinitely with new features being added as needed.
|)>>||Mac OSX||Mac OSX App||download v0.52|
|)>>||Linux||Debian Package||download v0.53|
|)>>||Windows||Windows Installer||download v0.54|
|)>>||Other||Source Code||download v0.54|
/* == Launch with Java Web Start == */ /* <<html(<a href="http://memory.psych.upenn.edu/files/software/TotalRecall/JavaWebStartAppPage.html"> <img src=""/></a>)>> */
Download the file for your platform.
- Mac: double click the .dmg file and drag PennTotalRecall.app into the Applications folder.
- Linux: double click the .deb file and click Install Package.
- Windows: double click the .exe file and follow the instructions.
Now try running the program:
- Mac: search for Penn TotalRecall in Spotlight, or double click PennTotalRecall.app in Finder by going to the Applications folder.
- Linux: on Ubuntu you can find Penn TotalRecall in the Applications --> Accessories menu.
- Windows: you can find Penn TotalRecall in the start menu as usual. There should also be an icon on your desktop.
Try opening the wave file provided in this samples folder.
Check the menu items for actions and keybindings available to the user. Also check Help --> Key Bindings.
A full guide to annotation provided. It explains proper use of the program along with our internal annotation standards.
TotalRecall currently runs on Mac OSX and Linux, with a Windows version to be released shortly. We plan to test and support these configurations, but the program should run on others.
TotalRecall requires a Java Runtime Environment, version 5 or higher. Most computers come with Java pre-installed, so you can probably download and run the program without worrying about system requirements. If it turns out you don't have Java, you can download it free here.
Support, contact, and bug reports
Please submit bug reports and feature requests to our issue tracking system on GitHub.
- Click "Create Issue" toward the top left of the page. You will be prompted to sign in.
- Click "Pricing and Signup" and make a free account. You can leave the "SSH Public Key" field empty.
- Now return to the issue tracking page linked to above.
For other support or feedback please send emails to: memory - software @ psych . upenn . edu (remove all the spaces).
Thank you for taking the time to improve Penn TotalRecall!
Please visit our development page.